It's true that the average college students is broke, but that doesn't mean that their meals should suffer. This blog will provide cheap, easy, and delicious meals!


Made by a college student for fellow college students. (Or for people with low budgets looking for good meals)



If you want to spice up your typical ramen noodle diet, this blog is for you. :)

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Hamburger Helper

I have always seen the Hamburger Helper ads on TV but never really thought much of it. Now that I am cooking every night and always looking for new and inexpensive ideas to spice up the routine dinners, Hamburger Helper has become my new best friend. There are over 40 Hamburger Helper kits, each one being just over a dollar at Publix. The combined price of ground beef makes a complete meal for roughly $5. It can't get better than that. Not to mention it feeds me, my boyfriend, and his roommate AND leaves some for leftovers. It's the perfect meal. Oh, and if the idea of making a complete dinner in a few easy steps for a low price isn't enough, there is also a Chicken Helper and a Tuna Helper. You could use these every night for a month and have a different meal. Every. Single. Night.

In the past hour I have made dinner, gotten ready for work (did I mention it practically cooks itself?), and updated my blog all before work. It'd say its been productive evening. Thank you Hamburger Helper!

The kit posted is "Cheesy Enchilada". There hasn't been a Hamburger Helper kit yet that I haven't liked, but this is by far my favorite.

Hamburger Helper: Cheesy Enchilada
-1 pound lean ground beef
-1 cup milk + 3 tablespoons milk for the topping
-2 1/4 cups hot water



Brown ground beef in a skillet and drain the fat. Then stir in 1 cup milk, hot water, sauce mix and uncooked rice.


I'll admit, at this point it doesn't look very appetizing, but trust me. It will. The sauce will thicken, so don't be alarmed when it seems too "watery".

Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Then reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender. Meanwhile stir together the rest of the milk and the topping mix and set aside. Remove from heat and then pour the topping over the beef mixture.



Mmmmm. If you want, you can put this in a flour tortilla and add some salsa and have a delicious enchilada. :)

Enjoy! Leave a comment or email me, and follow me for more yummy meals :)

No comments: